Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Journey

We made it here safely to Honduras, but it was after a very long day and a few setbacks. I was surprised, but even our luggage got here with us at the same time.

Our first leg of the journey was pretty uneventful, but it got interesting really quickly when we got to LAX. When we left the airport had printed out all of my companion’s boarding passes for all three flights, but they only printed my first boarding pass. When we got to the next airport I asked a few people how to print them and was instructed to go straight, then go right outside, go until the island then keep going until we got to the blue sign and take bus A to terminal 3 where we would find the TACA airline and I could have them print my boarding pass. They were sort of confusing directions and when we got outside we were very confused for a bit. LAX is BIG- we had to go outside and take a bus to the terminal.

We got there alright and found a VERY long line. This line literally took up all the windy switchback things, went along the wall inside the building, and went outside the building reaching the next terminal. The system was down for TACA, which meant that all the workers were doing things by hand. While in line a worker came by asking for people who had pre-checked in and she took them away. I asked her about me- since I had already checked in at another airport shouldn’t that count as being pre-checked? The lady didn’t know and said she would come back for me. She didn’t, so I left my companion to keep our spot in the line and I found the manager who said I could move to the pre-check in line. This line went outside only a little bit. We were in line about 2 ½ hours to get my two hand written boarding passes that for some reason they couldn’t just print when I checked in at the first airport. After getting my tickets we walked to security passing the empty line queues and airlines that were closed(since it was now after one in the morning.

We got to our gate probably about ten minutes before what should have been our boarding time. We didn’t actually board until about 2:30 am, and the plane didn’t leave until about 3:30am. I actually slept on the plane better than usual, but I still woke up a lot. Because of the late take-off we missed our last flight. We then spent a lovely morning and half an afternoon in a tiny Central American airport. We got some hot chocolate to get the password for the coffee shop’s wireless internet, and ate pupusas for lunch. Luckily we got a hold of our manager a few hours after we landed and got new tickets(so I didn’t even need the second hand written one).

When we got to Honduras things started to go a lot smoother.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the news! Hope the days ahead have fewer obstacles. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete