Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Enseñando en español

On Monday K and I taught our first workshop. We were both really nervous, but it went pretty well.

I guess maybe I should explain what it is I'm doing here in Honduras. I'm here doing an internship for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. K and I have been trained to teach a Self-Employment workshop which is basically how to start your own business. It is split up into four parts- each of which takes about four hours to teach. A few people have already asked us if we are business students, which neither of us is. Little do they know, however, that before training a few weeks ago I had never heard of some of the terms we will be teaching them about next week. Before I got here I was a little nervous about being able to teach this stuff well enough for people to really learn since I definitely am not an expert on this stuff. Honestly though, I learned a lot in training, and the materials we have to teach from are very helpful. The way the workshop is set up is for them to learn through practicing making a pretend lemonade-stand business. I took some pictures of the groups presenting their resumen del negocio.

Monday was our first class. The four hours flew by, and I found that I could communicate in Spanish alright. Today, Wednesday, we taught the second part of the workshop. It also went well. It wasn’t as fun as the first portion, but it was neat to see the progress everyone is making. Our class is so awesome. They help us if we forget words in Spanish and are patient with us. I can’t believe we’re already half way done with our first workshop.


On another note, today we had interviews con el Obispo de nuestro barrio aqui. K y yo tenemos asignaciones en el barrio ahora. K va a tocar el piano y yo voy a dirigir la música en los domingos. Vamos a escoger los himnos para cantar. Y, también, en los diez minutos entre la reunión sacramental y la escuela dominical, vamos a enseñar al barrio como cantar, dirigir, y cosas asi. Dirigiendo esta fácil, pero el enseñar como cantar- no tengo idea como hacerlo. Estos son asignaciones, entonces también probablemente vamos a recibir llamamientos en el barrio en el futuro. Oh, y también este domingo K y yo vamos a dar discursos de quince minutos en la reunión sacramental. También, K ya había ofrecido que nosotras traer el pan para la santa cena este domingo. Entonces, vamos a traer el pan para la santa cena, proveeremos la música, vamos a dar los discursos en la reunión sacramental, y después enseñaremos como cantar o dirigir o algo. Basically, this week, we are the Sacrament meeting for this ward. It will be interesting to say the least. But hey, we have already handled two four-hour classes this week in Spanish; certainly we can handle one Sacrament meeting. Vamos a ver.

3 comments:

  1. Julie, It is so interesting to hear about what you are doing in Honduras. Thanks. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually got most of your comments in Spanish. It sounds like you will be very busy this Sunday! Bueno!

    ReplyDelete