Thursday, June 2, 2011

Already junio?

I can't believe it's June already. Time is just flying by- we only have two months left here.

Our friend P helped us find some good panaderias, which we have enjoyed mucho. The other day we went and got cake. K got tres leches cake and I got chocolate.



I have missed my American chocolate candies(aka Reeses, which do not exist here as far as I know, and chocolate chips that cost less than five dollars a bag). There is some chocolate candy here, but it costs an arm and a leg to buy. So far though K has made brigadeiro and I have made no bake cookies, so we do get plenty of chocolate. Ok, so I also sort of have some of my Easter candy that I have been saving. But once that's gone, no more Reese's till I'm back in the States.

Another thing there is a shortage of here is root beer. Root beer is not a popular drink in Latin America. I, anticipating this, brought with me from Utah root beer extract. It is pretty much amazing. I made it the other day(there is a recipe on it where you don't need to use dry ice). It's super easy, and super yummy. They do have a soda here that I really like that they don't have in the States as far as I know. It's tropicana banana flavored. It's sort of like my root beer replacement when we go to restaurants, well, unless there's horchata.

I already mentioned that we started a new taller on Monday. Well, today we taught the second portion of it. There is a sweet lady in our class who K and I both adore. We have a list of the participants that we keep on the computer, which we print out to make sure we have everyone's information who comes to the class, but we don't usually write up an attendance list. Well, today, this cute elderly lady passed around a piece of paper for the asistencia for us. It was so sweet of her. She also was way on top of her tarea. She made a little poster to go with her business idea. I was very impressed. Here are a couple pictures of some of our participants.



I feel like this week I've actually been on top of my school work. There is a lot of interesting fun things I get to do for my schoolwork here. One of the things I'm trying to learn about Honduras is what music is popular here. For those of you who know me, you know I love music. I've had fun learning about the music here. So far my favorite song that someone suggested to me is Llama al sol por Tito El Bambino.

So basically, I've been here long enough I've missed some things from the U.S. (chocolate and root beer, two important food groups), but that is so minor, especially considering I am just getting started diving into Honduran culture and loving it.

2 comments:

  1. What's your recipe for the root beer? I have root beer extract, but don't feel like dealing with dry ice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just followed the recipe that came on the box my root beer extract came in. And since we don't have measuring cups, following the recipe means I boiled some water, dumped a bunch of sugar in, added some root beer extract, and then when that was cooler filled a glass about half way with that and filled the glass the rest of the way with carbonated water. The measurements are supposed to be 1 1/2 cups water, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp extract, and 1 liter of soda water or club soda.

    ReplyDelete