Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cookie Fail

I have never really enjoyed cooking or baking. I am fully capable of cooking or baking, but I choose to make whatever is easiest whenever it is necessary to make something in the kitchen. At school I joined a dinner group, which meant I only had to cook once every three weeks for the group. On the weekends I had to fend for myself for dinner, which sometimes meant I just had Cooler Ranch Doritos and Strawberry Orange Banana juice for dinner rather than make an extra effort to make real food. If I did decide to make something in the kitchen for myself for dinner it was usually some kind of breakfast food such as pancakes, french toast, or boiled eggs. I don't know why I've gone to so much detail here, but my point is- I make the easiest thing ever when I cook. This is why no-bake cookies has been my dessert of choice to make when I am craving something sugary. I am actually known in my family for making no-bake cookies just right. They taste great, and they always set right- not too gooey, not too dry. My no-bake cookies are even something my family missed while I was on my mission, and they insisted I make them shortly after I got home. Well, last night I made no-bake cookies, and I completely failed. There are a number of things that could have gone wrong with our lack of measuring cups, the weird texture our butter seems to have, and the cheapest brand of oats from La Colonia, but whatever happened, it was a sad day. It was like a soupy chocolatey oatmeal of sorts. Here's what happened when I tried to put a cookie on the foil:


The chocolate liquid was way too liquidy to stay with the oats. The good news is it still tastes good. Instead of cookies we have a pot of oatmeal chocolatey goodness. I'm very lucky that I do not rely on my own cooking here. K loves cooking and trying new things in the kitchen, so I am not stuck eating breakfast foods for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment